Wednesday, March 21, 2007

It's a MySpace World After All

After looking down upon MySpace for being something teenagers and the lighter, fluffier crowd gravitate around for social experiences, I shamefully succumbed to the lure yesterday. The impetus? Ron Paul for President.

For the last week, since joining the Ron Paul Yahoo Group, I have been faithfully voting in news site poll after blogger poll, visiting YouTube and Vlogger, doing anything requested to propel Dr. Paul higher in the polls. And then I was asked to vote for Paul by becoming his MySpace Friend. In for a penny, in for a pound, I was sucked into the vortex of the, ah, less intellectual side of the internet.

What's the harm, you might ask, in being Matricized? MySpace begs photos, statements of personal preferences, and fosters both networking and intrusion. Indeed, very soon after I exposed myself to the sticky web of MySpace, I received a request to "add" some guy as a friend. Is there an ettiquete laid down for such encounters? Was this a casual request, or was this guy going to show up on my doorstep at sundown?

Turns out, he was just another Ron Paul supporter (Dr. Paul boasting thousands of MySpace Friends), and the "add" manuever seems to be a method of hailing one of like mind.

Wanna be my friend? Any friend of Ron Paul is a friend of mine.
MySpace banner for RonPaul2008

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home